Waxing is a quick and easy way to get rid of unwanted hair. Unlike shaving, which cuts off the hair at the surface of the skin, waxing removes the hair from the root leaving your skin soft, smooth and stubble free for up to 6 weeks. Also, the more often you wax the thinner and sparser the new growth is, which leads to you having to wax less often!
All clients react differently to waxing depending on skin type and pain threshold. Any discomfort is generally short-lived though and can be minimised by following the aftercare advice provided.
To ensure the best possible result, please ensure that hair growth is at least ½ inch, any shorter than this and some of the shorter hairs may not be removed successfully, any longer and the hair will be trimmed prior to treatment if required. Clients are also advised to exfoliate and moisturise in the run up to a wax to maximise results – this is also recommended 3 times a week thereafter to discourage ingrown hairs.
Prior to your first treatment I will carry out a consultation to ensure that any potential contra-indications are identified. A contra-indication is anything that may prevent you from having the treatment, these include:
- Skin disorders, infection or swelling in area(s) to be waxed
- Diabetes, epilepsy, or haemophilia
- Medications such a Retin A or Accutane (or any other acne treatments that thin the skin)
- Varicose veins in area(s) to be waxed
It is not uncommon for the skin to appear red or for raised bumps to develop after waxing. Please do not worry as these are normal reactions and should disappear after 24 hours. To help minimise any reaction and encourage the skin to return to normal as quickly as possible please follow the following advice.
Avoid carrying out any of the following for 24hours after your waxing treatment:
- Applying perfumed products to the area waxed.
- Applying deodorant after underarm waxing.
- Applying make –up or creams after facial waxing.
- Having a hot bath or shower, lukewarm is fine.
- Any sporting activities including the gym.
- Sauna or steam sessions.
- Wearing tight clothing.
To help prevent ingrown hairs:
- Exfoliate the area 2-3 days after the waxing treatment using an exfoliating scrub/mitt/loofah.
- Moisturise the area daily to help keep the skin soft.